PLA boats - Then and Now
Harbour Patrol Craft - Lower District
The launch Roehampton was built by Groves and Gutteridge of Cowes on the Isle of Wight in 1946. She patrolled the lower river district until the early 1960's. The Gunfleet was built by Halmatic Nelson in 1987 and currently patrols the same district.
Harbour Patrol Craft - Upper District
The PLA launch Ray was built in 1939 by the Walton Yacht Company and would have seen service in the middle district. She is contrasted with the Chelsea, one of the PLA's new low-wash launches that were specially designed for the area between Putney and Teddington.
Harbour Patrol Craft - Middle District
The Ranalagh was in service in the PLA's middle (central London) district in the 1950's. The Ravensbourne II was built in 1985 and patrols this busy district today.