Leading Hand (Hydrographics)
Leading Hand (Hydrographic Department)
Salary: £26,811 - £29,589 per annum (inclusive of allowances)
The Port of London Authority (PLA) is the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames and we are looking to recruit a Leading Hand within the Hydrographic Department.
The purpose of the job is to assist the Master or Mate / Relief Master in the daily activity aboard the craft to ensure that operations are carried out in an efficient manner whilst maintaining the highest safety standards.
Amongst the principal duties are ensuring that the vessel is fit for operational duties and that all equipment is maintained in first class condition, undertaking all duties as determined by the Master or Mate / Relief Master and assisting the surveyors when necessary.
In addition you will operate small craft independently, become familiar with all on board surveying equipment and undertake tide gauge checks.
The successful applicant will:
- Be in possession of a Boatmaster Licence, or RYA equivalent, with local knowledge endorsements
- Have EDH and Lifeboat certificates
- Have an up to date GMDSS VHF licence
- Have or being willing to undertake an approved engine maintenance course
- Be self motivated with a flexible approach to the work schedule and operational requirements
- Have a keen interest in hydrographic survey work
- Be computer literate, and be able to ideally use Microsoft Office and electronic charting systems
To view the job description, please click here.
For an informal chat about the position, please contact John Pinder (Port Hydrographer) or John Dillon-Leetch (Deputy Port Hydrographer) on 01474 562207 or check our website on www.pla.co.uk/hydrohomepage for further information.
To apply please complete an application form and forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is Monday 12th June 2017
Interviews will be held on Friday 23rd June 2017.