New PLA Posts Enhance River Safety
River inspectors Ian Yarnton, Paul Arnold and Micky Scarce have half a century's experience of working on the water, so they are ideally placed to give advice to boaters and industry, and act as the harbour masters' eyes and ears on the Thames.
PLA chief harbour master David Snelson said: "The new river inspectors are already playing a crucial role giving river users advice on safety. They speak from first hand experience of boat-handling on the Thames, having worked on a variety of our vessels in their time here.
"They will also be part of our emergency response team, but our main goal is that their help and advice will help prevent incidents happening in the first place."
The river inspectors' duties include:
- Investigating navigational and pollution incidents;
- Directing and controlling river traffic;
- Acting as the port authority’s on-scene co-ordinators during emergencies;
- Advising the port industry on security, safety management and contingency planning;
- Inspecting vessels, cargo terminals and river works;
- Checking navigation lights.
For more information contact Martin Garside at the PLA, tel 01474 562366, or Email