Pilot Cutter Deckhand
- Department: Chief Harbour Master’s department
- Grade: 11
- Salary: £21,824 plus a 15% shift allowance and a 10% operation allowance
- Base: Gravesend
- Contract type: Full time - Permanent
- Closing Date: Thursday, 24th March 2022
- Interview Date: To be confirmed to shortlisted applicants
The Port of London Authority (PLA), a major trust port, is the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames.
We are currently recruiting a Pilot Cutter Deckhand who will primarily provide direct support and contribute to the pilotage service by transferring pilots safely and promptly to and from ships underway, at anchor or alongside berths thereby enabling the PLA to meet its statutory obligations and duties.
The post holder will act as crew on the PLA pilot cutter craft (or other craft working in that role) providing professional seamanship support to the Pilot Cutter Coxswain in both the operation of the pilot cutter and the safe transfer of pilots and passengers.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a good standard of literacy and numeracy with a minimum of GCSE Maths and English
- Be able to demonstrate core competencies in seamanship and in a variety of work related tasks applicable to the operation of a pilot boat
- Have a good knowledge of the pilot boarding and landing code, the correct rigging of a pilot ladder and transfer of personnel from or to craft and have practical experience of laying alongside ships on a tidal river
- Hold a Powerboat Level 2 certificate
- Have an ML5 medical certificate
- Be able to instruct and provide guidance to pilots and passengers in order to ensure safe operations
- Be able to exercise professional conduct with stakeholders, contractors, third parties and the general public
- Have the ability to work under pressure and time restraints independently
- Have good interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively
The successful applicant will be employed on shift work on the basis of continuous rotating shifts of 12 hours with an obligation to cover operational requirements outside the 35-hour week.
Along with the salary, you will also receive the following benefits:
- 28 days annual leave
- Health cash plan with limited Private Medical Insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Onsite parking with electric charging
- Occupational Health, Mindfulness, Counselling and Physiotherapy
- Workplace Nursery Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Car Scheme
For further information about the job, please contact Ryan Hall, Harbour Master or Miles Featherstone, Deputy Harbour Master on 01474 562212.
You are required to have a Right to Work in UK, as currently the PLA is not a sponsor employer, therefore an offer of employment cannot be made unless you currently hold the rights to live and work in the UK.