Our Upper District team is responsible for navigational safety between Teddington Lock in the west and Crossness in the east. This encompasses the busy commercial stretch of river which is home to commuter ferries, sight-seeing boats and barges supporting infrastructure projects and involved in the removal of London’s garbage from the heart of the capital. Into this navigating mix are the recreational users ranging from kayakers, scullers, dinghies, motorised cruisers, yachts, narrow boats and Dutch barges and residential house boats. There is an ever increasing demand to hold “river events” which has the potential to impact on all of those mentioned above. Up river of Putney the river is home to the largest concentration of rowing clubs in the UK and many of the biggest events in UK rowing such as ‘The Boat Race’ and the numerous Heads of the River races.
Harbour Master Upper - Terry Lawrence
Terry heads the team in the Upper District including Richmond Lock and Weir. He also looks after:
- New business and infrastructure projects.
- External relations and liaison with other organisations.
- River works licensing.
- Emergency management.
Deputy Harbour Master Upper (1) - Mark Towens
- New operations.
- Navigation risk assessments and passage planning.
- Supports PLA LKE examinations.
- PV ops code.
Deputy Harbour Master Upper (2) - Steve Rushbrook
- Event management; including the Boat Race.
- Filming licenses.
- PLA LKE examinations.
- Bridge inspections and minor bridge works.
- Moorings and Navigation Aids.
Assistant Harbour Master Recreation - Darren Knight
- River works licensing and infrastructure projects above Putney Bridge.
- Events management above Putney Bridge; except the Boat Race.
- The Rowing, Kayaking and Stand Up Paddle Boarding Codes.
- Incident investigations involving recreational vessels in liaison with DHM(1).
How to contact the Upper District Team:
Call: + 44 (0)20 7743 7912
Write: Bakers’ Hall, 7 Harp Lane, London, EC3R 6LB (Click here to view office map location)
Email: use this Enquiry Form
On the launches
To meet our launch skippers in the Upper District click here.