Port continues to be busy
30 March 2020
Operations in the Port of London continued at a high level last week, 23 March to 29 March, with 472 vessel movements and 215 pilotage acts. The number of vessel movements would have been even higher but for strong winds over weekend which resulted in boarding and landing of pilots from vessels being suspended.
Vessels calling on the Thames included freight ferries operating on routes to Rotterdam and Zeebrugge; container ships arriving on services from Europe, the Far East and North America; and tankers from Germany and Finland.
Terminals along the Thames play a key role in ensuring families across London and the south east are supplied with life’s essentials, including food, fuel and medical supplies. We have measures in place to help ensure our essential role in this supply chain is protected.
- RNLI on station - all RNLI Thames stations remain fully operational at Chiswick, Tower and Gravesend.
- Thames Clippers suspends service - from Saturday 28 March 2020 Thames Clippers has temporarily suspended all services until further notice.
- Tideway scales back operations – Tideway has temporarily reduced activities across the project with only safety-critical and essential work continuing at the present time.
- Cory Riverside Energy – operations transferring waste from west London to the energy from waste plant at Belvedere continue.
Time on your hands?
For those of you involved in sports and community clubs there are several ways in which you can continue to develop your club, and yourself, from home.
- The RYA website has various online training courses available.
- Club Matters provides an enormous amount of resources for sports and community clubs, such as online courses and documents which support effective club management. UK Coaching and Sported provide a wealth of online resources and club support too.
- Our Sports Participation and Community Outreach Manager is keen to work with clubs looking to increase in size and inclusivity. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 24 March: Port of London Authority COVID-19 update
- 23 March: Port of London Authority COVID-19 update
- UK Government response to COVID-19