Becoming a Port of London Authority Pilot opens the door to a long and rewarding career on the tidal Thames.
As a Port of London Authority employee, you’ll have access to generous benefits, including:
- A starting salary of £63,195 per annum, inclusive of allowances, with linked progression through the Pilot classes
- A working pattern of nine days on watch, six days off duty once qualified
- 28 days leave per annum, rising to 30 days when you reach Class I Pilot
- A relocation allowance when moving within 12 months of obtaining Class 4 Pilot authorisation
- Private health insurance
- A generous pension, which includes death-in-service cover and pension benefits for dependants
- Discounted leisure centre membership
- A structured training programme with supported continuous professional development
It’s a challenging career that requires rigour, determination and commitment. You’ll be responsible for vessels from all over the world.
During your training, we will provide ongoing professional support, as you acquire the skills needed to become a Port of London pilot.
Recent recruits share their insights on joining the PLA.
Commonly asked questions about our Pilotage department.
As a Port of London Authority employee, you’ll have access to generous benefits.
How to submit an application and what happens after you apply.