Hammersmith Bridge Vessel Transits
Owing to continuing safety concerns, Hammersmith Bridge remains closed to river traffic at the request of the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham Council. We advise that navigation underneath Hammersmith Bridge is not permitted and an exclusion zone of 15 metres upriver and downriver of the bridge remains in place. London VTS will include this closure in routine river broadcasts on VHF Channel 14.
Arches closed to navigation will be marked in accordance with the Port of London Authority Thames Byelaws 2012 namely:
- By day, three red discs 0.6 metres in diameter at the points of an equilateral triangle with the apex downwards and the base horizontal
- By night, three red lights in similar positions to the discs displayed by day.
Contractors working on behalf of Hammersmith & Fulham Council are undertaking stabilisation works on the bridge Monday to Saturday inclusively. Mariners will, subject to control measures established by Hammersmith & Fulham Council, be able to book a controlled transit underneath the bridge every Sunday between 09:00 – 17:00.
Controlled navigation is only possible subject to tolerances on the bridge structure being met and may be changed or cancelled at short notice.
- Transits must be pre-booked at least 72-hours in advance, via the booking system form at right.
- Confirmation of the controlled passage, which may include an amended time, will be given approximately 48-hours in advance.
- Vessels passing under Hammersmith Bridge are required to do so with minimum safe crew numbers and carrying no passengers.
- Vessels undertaking a transit must conduct their own risk assessment and passage plan, including an abort plan as transits may be cancelled at immediate notice. A copy of which will be supplied before travelling under the bridge to Bridges@lbhf.gov.uk.
- If cancelled it is likely that any further passage may not be possible for several days whilst engineers investigate any safety and structural concerns.
All other enquiries regarding Hammersmith Bridge and the ongoing closure should be directed to:
Mr. Anvar Alizadeh
Highway Structure’s Manager
Tel. 020 87533303