Did you know?
An aerial view of the Royal Docks
At its peak (in the 1930s), the area of the PLA’s enclosed dock water area amounted to 713 acres - equivalent to 2506 Olympic sized swimming pools.
The dock water area consisted of 47 basins and docks spread over 5 groups of docks.
The linear quaysides around the PLA's enclosed docks ran for over 36 miles in length - equivalent to the distance from Charing Cross to Southend-on-Sea.
In the mid-1960s, the PLA's land estate amounted to 3892 acres. This equated to an area of 6.22 square miles, which was larger than the London Borough of Islington (area 5.7 square miles), and more than 6 times the size of the City of London (area 1 square mile).
The total volume of foreign and coastwise import and export cargoes passing through London stood at 18.6 million tons in 1910, the first full year of the PLA’s life.
Pre-war cargo tonnages through the Port peaked at 44.6 million tons, in 1938.
Post-war cargo tonnages through the Port peaked at 61.3 million tons in 1964.
The PLA was an early user of large computer systems in the 1960's. At one time over 70 punch operators were employed and the PLA was providing payroll services for other large companies.