It was originally a toll bridge and, although tolls were abolished in 1879, the toll booths still remain. Nowadays, the bridge is not strong enough to carry modern traffic and a weight limit of two tons was introduced in 1973. Of interest are the notices on the bridge which instruct marching troops to break step when crossing it!
The Albert bridge is at its most beautiful at night when it is illuminated by thousands of electric light bulbs.
The bridge was also very popular as a vantage point from which to see the closing stages of the University Boat Race - special trains were laid on to allow spectators to enjoy the view from the comfort of a railway carriage.
The bridge was strengthened to cope with increasing traffic in 1891-95, at which time the footbridge was added. This was made especially strong to support the crowds that traditionally gathered for the Boat Race. However, the footbridge is now closed during the race.
The bridge still carries the only north-south route through London but is now subject to a speed limit of 15 mph.
The present 5 span bridge was designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette for the Metropolitan Board of Works and opened in 1890.
The bridge was widened and strengthened in 1898 at which time the footpaths were removed. Since then the bridge has been rebuilt twice, the latest version being constructed by British Railways in 1981.
The old bridge was demolished in 1935 and the new suspension bridge was provided with much stronger foundations to cope with increasing traffic levels.
A second bridge to match the existing structure was designed by Sir Charles Fox for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. This was built alongside the existing bridge in 1866.
A third bridge was built in 1907 to increase the number of tracks into Victoria Station up to ten.
All three bridges were replaced between 1963 and 1967 and there are now in effect ten separate bridges each carrying one railway line.
The current structure, also a suspension bridge, was designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette and opened in 1887. Of all the London bridges, this one offers the least headroom over the River. It is a favourite vantage point from which to watch the University Boat Race.
Hammersmith is one of the most attractive of London's bridges. This is especially true at night after a new lighting scheme was installed in 2000.
The bridge is too narrow for modern traffic and is now subject to a weight limit of 7.5 tons. A priority traffic system for buses is also now in operation.
The first bridge at this location was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and opened in 1845 to provide pedestrian access to the Market. The bridge was purchased in 1859 by the South Eastern Railway so it could extend the line from London Bridge to the proposed new Charing Cross Station. The chains and other suspension parts of Brunel's Thames bridge were used to finish his other bridge across the Avon Gorge in Bristol in memory of the famous engineer who had recently died.
The new railway bridge, which utilised Brunel's original foundations and piers, was completed in 1864 and included two toll footpaths which the Railway Company was obliged to maintain. The tolls were abolished in 1878 and one of the footpaths was replaced by track in 1882. However, the bridge remained as the only London crossing to take both rail and pedestrian traffic.
The single footpath was replaced in 2000 by two new suspension footbridges designed by Lifshutz Davidson. These new landmarks provide good views of the Thames towards Westminster.
In 1873 ownership of the bridge passed to the Metropolitan Board of Works and tolls were abolished. The bridge was later transferred to the Middlesex and Surrey County Councils.
The present bridge, the third to occupy this site, was designed by Sir John Wolfe-Barry and CA Breton and opened by King Edward VII in 1903. The bridge was re-named the King Edward VII Bridge to commemorate this, but this name proved unpopular and it reverted to Kew Bridge a few years later.
The pineapples on top of the obelisks at each end of the bridge commemorate John Tradescant, who was gardener to Charles I. He was the first man to successfully grow a pineapple in England.
Work started on a new stone bridge in 1176 and was completed in 1209. This was the famous old London Bridge, complete with shops, a chapel and houses. By the middle of the 18th century a large number of the houses were occupied by pin and needle makers, whose pins can still be found on the foreshore.
A new stone bridge, designed by John Rennie, was opened in 1831 by King William IV and Queen Adelaide. This bridge was in use for 140 years until it became too weak to cope with modern traffic and had to be replaced. The old bridge is now sited in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, having been removed brick by brick in 1973.
The present bridge, built by Harold Knox King and opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1973, is London's widest road bridge with six traffic lanes and two footpaths.
The bridge was designed by Foster and Partners, Ove Arup and Partners and Sir Anthony Caro and is 370 metres long, four metres wide and 9.5 metres above the river.
It was inspected and dedicated by Queen Elizabeth II on May 9 2001 and opened on June 10. The bridge was closed soon after to allow engineers to investigate a disturbing swaying effect that occurred when a large number of people crossed at the same time. After installation of a new damping system the bridge was re-opened in 2002.
The present stone bridge was designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette for the Metropolitan Board of Works and was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1886.
The need for a new crossing at this point was identified in the 1980's as sections of the M25, the new orbital motorway around London, were opened. It was recognised that the existing tunnels, which now carry M25 traffic from Kent to Essex, would be seriously overloaded once the motorway was finished.
Work on the bridge started in August 1988 and it was opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II in October 1991. At this time it was the largest cable-supported bridge in Europe and cost £86 million to build.
Traffic volumes have grown by 75% since the bridge was opened and it is now used by approximately 50 million vehicles every year.
The bridge was transferred to Middlesex and Surrey County Councils in 1927 and was widened between 1937-39. Great care was taken to retain the original appearance and each stone was removed, numbered and replaced after the foundations had been extended.
A barge lock was built on the Surrey side at Richmond and this was joined by a weir to three roller slipways for small boats on the Middlesex side. The weir was opened and closed twice a day to hold water back at low tide. A superstructure was needed to house the weir mechanisms and this was constructed to form two footbridges. These were opened by the Duke and Duchess of York in 1894.
In 1847 the Staines and South Western Railway Company extended the line to Windsor via Staines and Datchet and the line crosses the Thames very near to Richmond Station. The bridge to carry this line, originally called the Richmond, Windsor and Staines Bridge, was designed by Joseph Locke and opened in 1848. A similar cast iron beam bridge near Norbury collapsed in 1891 and this caused some concern over Richmond Railway Bridge. A new bridge was commissioned to replace Locke's structure and the present bridge, designed by JW Jacomb-Hood, was opened in 1908.
The new bridge was completed in 1921 and was designed to ensure that the piers lined up with those of both Blackfriars and London Bridges to assist navigation. The turrets on the piers were designed by Sir Ernest George RA.
Work started in 1886 and the bridge was completed in 1894. Sir Horace Jones died just after work began and the project was completed by Sir John Wolfe Barry with the assistance of Brunel (the younger).
The bridge opened 22 times per day on average during the early years but, as commercial shipping migrated downstream, this frequency reduced. Nowadays it opens on average once a day.
On one occasion, in 1953, a bus was trapped on the roadway and had to leap several feet to the other side - there were no serious injuries.
The later name of Vauxhall was derived from Falkes' Hall, a nearby manor house built in the 13th century by Falkes de Breaute, a henchman of King John.
Frederick Pomeroy and Alfred Drury sculpted the bronze figures that adorn the piers on either side of the bridge. These represent the Arts and Sciences, namely Agriculture, Architecture, Engineering, Learning, Education, Astronomy and the Fine Arts.
After 60 years or so this bridge proved unable to cope with increasing levels of traffic so a new bridge was commissioned in 1935. This was designed by Sir Peirson Frank and opened in 1940.
By 1923 it was found that the three central piers were sinking and despite efforts to remedy this by reinforcing the foundations, the bridge was closed on safety grounds.
Work began on a replacement bridge to a design by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1937. This magnificent bridge with five spans each of 230 feet (70 metres) opened in 1945. It is constructed of reinforced concrete faced with Portland Stone and is the longest bridge in London.
The bridge became unsafe and work began in 1854 on a replacement designed by Thomas Page. The new bridge opened in 1862 and is the oldest bridge in use in Central London.