Thames foreshore access including metal detecting, searching and digging.
Anyone wishing to search the tidal Thames foreshore in any way for any reason must hold a current foreshore permit from the Port of London Authority.
Searching includes all such activities including searching; metal detecting; digging, or ‘scraping’
Type of Permits
The PLA issues two types of foreshore permits.
- Standard - allows digging to a depth of 7.5 cm
- Mudlark - allows digging to a depth of 1.2m
- Applications received within the 'renewal period' will be issued with a three year permit running from the 1st December.
- Applications received outside the 'renewal period' will be issued with a three year permit running from the preceding 1st January.
- Adult £77
- Junior (12-17yrs) £38 (must be accompanied by a permit holding adult)
- Daily £33
Applying for a permit
To apply for a Permit complete an application form
Page 1 - sign and date
Page 2 - complete in block capitals
Attach a passport size photograph
The completed application form and photo should be sent via email to: email@example.com
When your application for a permit is processed you will be provided with details of how to make payment either by credit/debit card or via bank transfer.
For further information please contact Richard Rayfield:
Telephone 01474 562 332 or email
(Please allow a minimum of Four weeks for the application to be processed)
Please note: The PLA no longer accept postal applications.
No person except in an emergency can enter an area within 70 metres of the northern bank of the river Thames between Westminster Bridge and 200 metres below Lambeth Bridge. (see Foreshore Map - Middle District)